January 9, 2012
In tonight’s Extra, Extra, Elvis loved L.A., Blue Ivy Gets her own news section and Hollywood has a plan for high-rises. Plus: Keep up with us on Facebook , and follow us on Twitter: @LAist @LAistFood @LAistSports . more › See the article here: Extra, Extra: Where Elvis Went in L.A., Hollywood High-Rises and Blue Ivy Carter’s Takeover
Tags: article, beverly hills, beverly hills news, california, disney, extra, facebook, food, her-own, hollywood, missing, news, the-article, twitter
Posted in Local News | Comments Off on Extra, Extra: Where Elvis Went in L.A., Hollywood High-Rises and Blue Ivy Carter’s Takeover
January 6, 2012
In this Feb. 24, 2011 file photo, honoree Angela Bassett arrives at Essence magazine’s Black Women in Hollywood luncheon in Beverly Hills, Calif. See more here: Angela Bassett ‘loving’ her return to Broadway
Tags: arrives-at-essence, article, bassett, beverly hills, black-women, essence, hancock-park, hollywood, news los angeles, pleaded-guilty, york-on-dec
Posted in Local News | Comments Off on Angela Bassett ‘loving’ her return to Broadway
January 5, 2012
It’s not the end of the road for Boyz II Men — in fact, it’s only the beginning. Or maybe the middle. The location remains to be seen, but the point is, 90′s R&B group Boyz II Men are getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today. more › Go here to see the original: Boyz II Men Getting Star on Walk of Fame
Tags: ca news, california, christiansen, credentialing, facebook, hollywood, hollywood-walk, maybe-the-middle, middle, missing, natalie, road
Posted in Local News | Comments Off on Boyz II Men Getting Star on Walk of Fame
January 4, 2012
Sheriff’s deputies detain Harry Burkhart, 24, Monday morning near Sunset Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue. Read this article: Name of Arrested Arson Spree Suspect Released
Tags: arrested, arson-suspect, beverly hills, california, deputies-detain, find-creative, handbook, harry, hollywood, local news, missing, monday, news, sunset, three-hours
Posted in Local News | Comments Off on Name of Arrested Arson Spree Suspect Released
January 3, 2012
Reserve Deputy Shervin Lalezary made the traffic stop that led to the arrest of a suspect in a series of Hollywood area arson fires. Visit link: Tip Led Reserve Deputy to Stop Arson Suspect
Tags: appid, arrest, beverly, facebook, hollywood, local news, neighbor, the-lawman, west hollywood
Posted in Local News | Comments Off on Tip Led Reserve Deputy to Stop Arson Suspect
January 3, 2012
Los Angeles police have in custody a 55-year-old man they say is a suspect in 53 car and carport fires since Friday. The man, whose name has not yet been released, was arrested near the intersection of Fairfax Avenue and Sunset Boulevard early Monday. Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said Monday morning that he was confident an arsonist suspected of setting dozens of fires over the past three days was off the streets. “I feel very good that we’ve got the right guy,” Beck told City News Service shortly before he began riding with an LAPD equestrian unit in the Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena. “He had the right stuff in his van, and we are very confident we found our man.” The man was spotted after a sheriff’s patrol, which provides law enforcement for West Hollywood, saw the man’s vehicle, a black Dodge minivan with British Columbia license plates, parked outside a Rite-Aid store, according to sources, KFI News reported . The man may have set fires around Los Angeles out of anger after immigration authorities detained the man’s mother for deportation last week, according to the KFI report. Los Angeles City Fire Capt. Jaime Moore said the property damage from the fires—mostly in Hollywood and West Hollywood — totals about $2 million. The Los Angeles Times reported an unnamed law enforcement source who said the minivan had Canadian license plates but that detectives believe the man might originally be from Germany. The man’s arrest followed 12 new fires since 1 a.m. Monday in carports around Hollywood, the Hollywood Hills, Sherman Oaks and West Hollywood. Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa posted the following message on his Facebook page Monday morning: Over the past few days we have been faced with an ongoing series of arson fires committed by an individual with wanton disregard for the lives and property of Angelenos. Thankfully, there have been no lives lost to these criminal acts and only minor injuries to date. After another series of fires last night that brought the total to 54 since Friday, I am encouraged by the detainment this morning of a ‘person of interest’ in Hollywood. While the investigation continues, I am thankful for the ongoing and relentless effort by the LAFD, LAPD and other agencies to respond to these incidents and pursue every lead toward an arrest in the case. I also want to thank Angelenos for their vigilance these past few days and their patience as our public safety agencies worked under extremely challenging circumstances to not only handle the rash of arson fires, but to protect the rest of the city, as well, over the New Year holiday. A total of 53 suspected arson fires have broken out in the Los Angeles area since Dec. 30, Los Angeles Fire Department officials said. Follow Patch for updates on this developing story. Be sure to follow Beverly Hills Patch on Twitter and “Like” us on Facebook . Go here to read the rest: Suspect Arrested in Connection With Arson Fires
Tags: article, beverly hills, fairfax-avenue, hollywood, intersection, news, over-the-past, tournament
Posted in Local News | Comments Off on Suspect Arrested in Connection With Arson Fires
January 2, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/v/2kNtFfJvQhI?version=3&f=user_uploads&app=youtube_gdata Lakers Coach Mike Brown on Matt Barnes and Devin Ebanks Read more from the original source: Lakers Coach Mike Brown on Matt Barnes and Devin Ebanks
Tags: appid, arson-case, brown, brown-on-matt, cars, county-fire, devin-ebanks, hollywood, losangelestimes, outbreak-since, person, sports, video
Posted in Local News | Comments Off on Lakers Coach Mike Brown on Matt Barnes and Devin Ebanks
January 2, 2012
LOS ANGELES — Twelve more suspected arson fires broke out early Monday in the Los Angeles area, and a “person of interest” was taken into custody for questioning in connection with the dozens of suspicious car fires that have hit the city since last week. The developments came a day after police distributed DVDs featuring footage of a man, between 20 and 30 years old with a receding hairline and a shoulder-length ponytail, whom they described as a person of interest. He was seen on grainy surveillance video Saturday after emerging on foot from inside an underground parking structure on Hollywood Boulevard where a car fire was reported. Fire department spokesman Capt. Jaime Moore said he couldn’t say whether the person of interest detained early Monday was the man seen on the video footage. “It’s still too early to say whether or not this person has any direct correlation with the number of fires that we’ve been responding to this evening,” Moore said. No arrests had been made. Early Monday, firefighters battled 12 suspected arson fires at carports and garages. Ten occurred in Los Angeles and two were in West Hollywood, Moore said. They broke out shortly after 1:30 a.m. Moore said authorities believe the latest fires were connected to the earlier ones. The number of suspicious fires now stands at 55, he said. Detectives spent Sunday analyzing security video camera footage and following up on other leads after a half dozen more vehicles were set on fire on New Year’s Eve. The outbreak of arson fires has left a trail of smoldering debris in Hollywood, West Hollywood, North Hollywood and the Fairfax district of Los Angeles since Thursday. Most of those fires were set in parked cars. In several cases, flames have jumped to carports and apartment units. A reward of $60,000 has been offered for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the arsonist. Detectives served a search warrant at a home in the San Fernando Valley, Det. Gus Villanueva said Sunday. Several interviews were conducted, but no arrests were made. “They are working on hundreds of clues, interviewing dozens of witnesses, picking up countless pieces of evidence,” police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said of the detectives. Authorities haven’t said how the car fires were sparked or what was collected at the crime scenes. They were unsure if the rash of fires were the work of one arsonist or multiple people or copycats. There have been no injuries. Extra patrols were out in force on New Year’s Eve. One of Saturday’s attacks occurred at the Hollywood and Highland entertainment complex, a popular tourist destination and hotspot for holiday revelers. Firefighters responded to a report of a small car fire in a parking structure that was out by the time they arrived. Firefighters routinely are called to put out burning cars, but this recent spate has been unusual because of the frequency and location of the fires. Crews have been responding to other emergencies despite the focus on solving the fire arsons, fire spokesman Erik Scott said. Police urged residents to check their cars for any signs of tampering and take simple precautions such as locking their cars, keeping garage and carport lights on at night and reporting suspicious activity. “We are not going to rest,” Los Angeles Fire Department assistant chief Pat Butler said Sunday at a joint police-fire news conference. “We are going to work tirelessly.” Police officials were working with Sheriff’s Department detectives, city and county fire investigators and members of the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. Read more here: ‘Person Of Interest’ Detained In LA Car Arson Case
Tags: arson-case, butler, california, cars, city, county-fire, fire, hollywood, outbreak-since, person, such-as-locking, video, work
Posted in Local News, Video | Comments Off on ‘Person Of Interest’ Detained In LA Car Arson Case
December 31, 2011
This is a video tonight from the top private patio of the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills California. Read more: Holidays in LA
Tags: apartment-building, beverly hills news, from-the-top, hollywood, hotel, news, news los angeles, ruins-property, video, video-tonight
Posted in Local News, Video | Comments Off on Holidays in LA
December 31, 2011
The charred cars in the carport of a Hollywood apartment building are the result of what police and fire investigators believe to be a serial arsonist, who may be accountable for a rash of fires overnight… Here is the original post: Carport Fire Ruins Property, Displaces Residents
Tags: apartment-building, appid, article, charred-cars, fires-overnight, hollywood, los angeles, los angeles county, news, ruins-property, serial-arsonist
Posted in Local News | Comments Off on Carport Fire Ruins Property, Displaces Residents